Friday, September 30, 2011

Widowed Scribe

The Widowed Scribe

Where are the wrinkled
forebears, the fabled pallbearers
playing Atlas with table-scrap castles,
those false rascals

of whom you coo and spew
paltry praise? You speak
in arcane phrase, your prior purpose pawned away.

Our lazy ramparts will not dry. It has been
days; the walls fashioned of gum and imitation
clay sag and shudder in the rain. You abstain
from raids to forge a future from the fallout,
but your recycled paste of ash and glass laughs
at its past, this last homage to eunuch ancestry
nothing but a failed retreat.
Weave me a revolution, son,
lay civilization at our feet.
We’ll flabbergast history
and filibuster empires
(hands tied behind our backs);

although you have tired of the torment
of triumph, our ascendant dynamics
will not relent – your strategies
slip across my pillow, and night-ready,
I empty pauper’s pockets & prince’s petticoats,
I’ll burn bridges and banknotes.
I leave my name engraved
on the throat of paler gods,
pausing to admire the slopes
of vowel and consonant,
the intrinsic arithmetics
of muscle and mercy.

I could drizzle diamond and jade
on the cloud-caught remains
of Father Time

(a celestial array of age spots
and varicose veins). If you will not

stay for me, then remember your able hands, marred
by history; reclaim those moonside coups you’d promised me -
all in vain.

For this, you taste the
shame of man’s fairy-tale fall.



1 comment:

  1. Whoah, this stanza is incredible and your work has come a long way. This is definitely one of those stanzas that I wish I could write:
    I could drizzle diamond and jade
    on the cloud-caught remains
    of Father Time
    Hope all is well and keep up the amazing writing!

    ReplyDelete